The practice concerned with the maintenance of health and the prevention, alleviation, or cure of disease.
Major medical specialties
- Internal medicine,
- Obstetrics and Gynecology,
- Pediatrics, Pathology,
- Surgery (orthopedic surgery, plastic surgery, ...)
- Anatomy, Cytology, Histology
- Experimental Medicine
- Therapeutics (Clinical pharmacology, Therapy, Diet, Psychiatry, and neurology, Health Sciences incl. promotion of health, Preventive medicine, Physical medicine and rehabilitation, ...)
- Incidence & Prevention of Diseases
Other medical specialities
- Family practice,
- Nuclear medicine,
- Industrial medicine,
- Military Medicine,
- Disaster Medicine,
- Tropical Medicine ;
- Clinical Research
- Veterinary Medicine,
- microbiology (including bacteriology, virology, immunology and mycology in medicine)
- biochemistry (especially in form of clinical chemistry, or chemical pathology including genetic engineering to cure diseases).
- http://profiles.nlm.nih.gov/ twentieth-century leaders in biomedical research and public health ;
- http://images.wellcome.ac.uk/indexplus/page/News.html Medical history images ;
http://profiles.nlm.nih.gov/CD/Views/Exhibit/narrative/dna.html The ethical problem of medical research. 1975 Asilomar meeting of leading biologists setting guidelines for recombinant DNA research, after ethical worries.
Organisations & centres http://www.cdc.gov/ US national centre for infectious diseases ; http://www.inserm.fr/ ; http://www.wolffund.org.il/cat.asp?id=24&cat_title=MEDICINE Wolf Price for cutting edge medical research ;
Research http://web.mit.edu/langerlab/ Medicine and technology research. Work is at the interface of biotechnology and materials science. A major focus is the study and development of polymers to deliver drugs, particularly genetically engineered proteins, DNA and RNAi ; http://content.nejm.org/ New England Journal of Medicine with news ;
Organ transplantation and exchange transfusion; microsurgery, laser beam surgery, and lens implantation (for cataract patients).
radiology http://www.radiologyassistant.nl/ Shows anatomy very well ;
Anesthesiology has grown increasingly complex.
In addition to general practice, dentistry includes many specialties and subspecialties, including orthodontics and dental orthopedics, pediatric dentistry, periodontics, prosthodontics, oral and maxillofacial surgery, oral and maxillofacial pathology, endodontics, public health dentistry, and oral and maxillofacial radiology.