The two major figures in social or human geography in the century were Friedrich Ratzel in Germany and Paul Vidal de la Blache in France. Both broke completely with the crude environmentalism of earlier centuries, which had sought to show how topography and climate actually determine human behaviour, and they substituted the more subtle and sophisticated insights into the relationships of land, sea, and climate on the one hand and, on the other, the varied types of culture and human association that are to be found on earth.
Cartography, Cultural Heritage.
David Harvey - http://davidharvey.org/ analysis on capital and social policy, and reading on Marx's Capital. Constant capitalist growth is not possible, what is the alternative? Cannot deal with global poverty problem without dealing with global the accumulation of wealth problem
- http://www.cartographiaonline.com/export/fooldal.vm ;
- http://www.itmb.com/travel_maps.htm ;
- http://www.ign.fr/ ;
- http://www.geoportail.fr/ ;
- http://www.maps.ethz.ch/ ;
- http://www.cartographic.com/ ;
- http://www.schweizerbart.de/ books and maps on geography ; http://www.schweizerbart.de/pubs/series/afrika-kartenwerk19.html ;
- http://www.nationalgeographic.com/xpeditions/atlas/ ;
- http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/africa.html ;
- http://www.omnimap.com/ ;
- http://www.embassyworld.com/Maps_Of_The_World/ provides access to national maps for almost every country in the world ;
- http://www.nationalgeographic.com/maps/ ;
- http://www.census.gov/geo/www/maps/CP_MapProducts.htm The Census Bureau has a collection of maps ;
- http://topomaps.usgs.gov/ ;
- http://www.cartografareilpresente.org/ ;
- http://www.multimap.com/ Great maps
There are a number of initiative to people-made online maps. http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/ ; http://www.google.com/mapmaker first launched in India with few digital maps pre-existing ; http://wikimapia.org/ creating its own annotated maps, layered on top of Google’s ; http://www.openstreetmap.org/ nonprofit group whose mission is to make free collaborative maps ;
- http://www.scribblemaps.com Make notes and routes on Google maps.
- UNESCO http://whc.unesco.org/en/list
- http://www.wmf.org/ World Monument Fund - non-politicised alternative to UNESCO
- http://www.greatmirror.com/ The Great Mirror is a collection of photographs of cultural or humanized landscapes. The images are arranged geographically and are narratively sequenced and captioned to reflect the interests of a geographer, which--in case you're like most people and don't know or have never thought about it--is in the character of places as they are.
- International Union for Conservation of Nature http://www.iucn.org/