There are no second acts in American life. F. Scott Fitzgerald.
"The American is a new man who acts on new principles: he must therefore entertain new ideas and form new opinions." J. HECTOR ST. JOHN DE CRÈVECOEUR
News http://www.bookforum.com/ syndication of mostly American articles daily ; http://www.nytimes.com/ ; http://www.csmonitor.com/ Surprisingly good coverage worldwide ; http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/ Covers world-wide opinion ; http://www.postwritersgroup.com/features.htm with Kathleen Parker and George Will ; http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/opinions/?nid=top_opinions ; http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/ Founded 1881 and most left-leaning of big broadsheets ; http://www.thedailybeast.com/ run by Tina Brown, the grande dame of the Anglo-American media ; http://www.newser.com/ ; http://www.truth-out.org/ ;
http://www.vanityfair.com/ ; http://www.slate.com/ webzine created 1996 in Seattle, financed by Microsoft but taken over 2004 by Washington Post, pioneer in web publishing ; http://www.salon.com/ ; http://www.thenation.com/ ; http://www.prospect.org/ American Prospect, liberal founded in 1980s to counter Reaganism ; http://www.nybooks.com/ ; http://www.theatlantic.com/ ; http://harpers.org/ ; http://www.tnr.com/ ; http://www.newyorker.com/ ; http://www.time.com/ ; http://www.newsweek.com/ ; http://www.american.com/ ; http://www.esquire.com/ ; http://www.observer.com/ ; http://www.nationalreview.com/ Conservative with Kathleen Parker ; http://mediastorm.org/
http://www.theglobalist.com/ ; http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/ ; http://www.digitalnpq.org/index.html ; http://www.common-place.org/ ; http://www.swans.com/ American left-wing pseudo intellectual website, but provides breaths of fresh air ; http://www.bigthink.com/ videos with philosophical ideas ; http://townhall.com/ Conservative comment ; http://www.charlierose.com/home interviews with thinkers ; http://bloggingheads.tv/ video-debates ; http://www.splicetoday.com/ ; http://thinkprogress.org/ ; http://www.alternet.org/ Online left-wing magazine created 1998 ; http://www.wilsoncenter.org ; http://www.dissentmagazine.org/ Quarterly magazine of politics and culture edited by Mitchell Cohen and Michael Walzer ; http://www.theamericanscholar.org/ Quarterly ; http://www.theroot.com/ daily online magazine that provides thought-provoking commentary on today's news from a variety of black perspectives ; http://www.guernicamag.com/ ;
http://www.tomdispatch.com/ counter current ;
http://www.vfdaily.com/culture/2008/blogopticon/index.html excellent end 2008 map of US blogs ; http://www.pollingreport.com/ What the Americans think ; http://factcheck.org/ Fairly good impartisan 'checker' of politicians ; http://www.opensecrets.org/ Campaignfunding ; http://www.politico.com ; http://www.youtube.com/youchoose All the channels for the 2008 candidates ; http://iciwashington.blogspot.com/ ; http://www.oldroads.org/ Reflective blog by Martyn Smith ; http://www.rgemonitor.com/blog/roubini Nouriel Roubini blog on finance ; http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/wealthofnations/default.aspx Gamut of news comments ;
http://www.motherjones.com/ leftist political commentary ; http://www.thewashingtonnote.com/ Steve Clemons moderate democrate blogger ; http://talkingpointsmemo.com/ Joshua Micah Marshall liberal blogger ; http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ ; http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/ Liberal ; http://www.prospect.org/csnc/blogs/ezraklein ; http://wonkette.com/ D.C. political gossip ;
http://uchicagolaw.typepad.com/beckerposner/ Impressive account of financial/economical social issues ;
http://annesinclair.typepad.fr/ French in the US ;
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/ NBC's Brian Williams and his nightly newscast has 10.1 million viewers, see also Meet the Press ; http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/ NBC also has Jay Leno and Conan 0'Brian on weekdays ; http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/ This Week, Charles Gibson at ABC Nightline 9.1 million ; http://www.cbsnews.com/video/ Couric at CBS Evening News at 7.2 million, Face the nation ; http://lateshow.cbs.com/latenight/lateshow/ Letterman ;
http://www.thedailyshow.com/ at Comedy Central ; http://www.colbertnation.com/ ; http://www.foxnews.com/video/index.html Fox News Sunday ; http://www.npr.org/ ; http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/ Late Edition; http://cspanjunkie.org/ ; http://www.cspan.org/ ; http://www.hulu.com/ aggregator ; http://beta.sling.com/ aggregator ; http://votersthink.org/ agregates news videos in a blog ; http://www.pbs.org/ Public broadcasting ;
http://www.charlierose.com/ Great interviews online ;
http://www.youtube.com/user/whitehouse ; http://www.usa.gov/ Bumper site for all branches of the government ; http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ Records all presidential offical documents and papers, including speeches. Great resource ;
http://www.nationaljournal.com/ ; http://www.opencongress.org/ ; http://www.change.gov Transition ; http://directory.presidentialtransition.gov/ ; http://www.electoral-vote.com/ following the vote predictions ; http://www.lcv.org/ environmental lobby ; http://www.repoweramerica.org/ environmental change ; http://www.dni.gov/nic/NIC_home.html National intelligence Council on future predictions ;
http://www.brookings.edu/projects/mgi.aspx Managing Global Insecurity Project that is close to Obama ; http://www.usip.org/genocide_taskforce/index.html Released final report 8 December 2008 ; http://www.fixthisbarack.com/ crowdgathering policy on internet ; http://www.whitehouse2.org/ web 2.0 site for change ;
http://politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/?page=1 Checks Obamas campaign promises ;
Liberal progressive left
- Center for American Progress http://www.americanprogress.org/ very influential with "Change for America," perhaps the largest and most influential of the transitional care packages ;
- http://www.fas.org/ not influential ;
- Institute for Policy Studies http://www.ips-dc.org/ not influential, book December 2008 for the new president. PHyllis Bennis, ME specialist ;
- Joint Center http://www.jointcenter.org/ not influential ;
- Progressive Policy Institute (PPI) http://www.ppionline.org/ with serial "Memos to the Next President" ;
- Breakthrough Institute http://thebreakthrough.org/about.shtml with Breakthrough http://breakthroughjournal.org/
- http://www.brookings.edu/ influential ;
- http://www.carnegieendowment.org/ very influential, with http://www.foreignpolicy.com/ (http://ricks.foreignpolicy.com/ Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter and Fiasco author Tom Ricks comments on military matters at The Best Defense , http://walt.foreignpolicy.com/ Harvard's Stephen Walt, coauthor of bestselling The Israel Lobby and U.S. Foreign Policy, injects a dose of realism into the online political debate , http://rothkopf.foreignpolicy.com/ Superclass author David Rothkopf gives readers an inside look at the global powerbrokers who really run the world , http://drezner.foreignpolicy.com/ The Fletcher School's Daniel Drezner blogs on foreign policy, international economics (and occasionally the Red Sox) , http://lynch.foreignpolicy.com/ George Washington University's Marc Lynch ("Abu Aardvark") blogs on the politics of the Middle East , http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/ Investigative journalist Laura Rozen writes The Cable, featuring original coverage, scoops, and behind-the-scenes reporting about the making of Washington’s foreign policy in the age of Obama , http://hillary.foreignpolicy.com/ FP senior editor Carolyn O'Hara and a crack team of Clinton-watchers obsessively follows all things Hillary at Madam Secretary , http://shadow.foreignpolicy.com/ A coterie of conservative foreign-policy heavyweights, including Peter Feaver, Philip Zelikow, and FP’s newest editor -- and Condoleezza Rice's longtime speechwriter -- Christian Brose, critique the Obama presidency at Shadow Government: Notes from the loyal opposition , http://eurasia.foreignpolicy.com/ The Call features political forecasting by Ian Bremmer and the political-risk consulting firm Eurasia Group ) ;
- http://www.newamerica.net/ not influential ;
- http://www.milkeninstitute.org/ not influential ;
- http://www.usaction.org/ with book "Next New Deal" in July 2008 ;
Arts & Humanities
Have to go..
- Buses https://www.boltbus.com/ ; http://www.megabus.com/us/ ;
- http://delocator.net/ Independet cafes, movie theatres and books in the US, avoid Starbucks ;
- Greenbrier Hotel http://www.greenbrier.com/ West Virginia luxury hotel ;
- http://clydes.reachlocal.net/main/RestaurantsDetail.cfm?Restaurant=Clydes_of_Georgetown&Section=Main Restaurant in Georgetown ;
- Roger Smith http://www.rogersmith.com/ Lovely uptown small, artsy hotel which is not too expensive ;
- Helmsley http://www.newyorkhelmsley.com ;
- The Carlyle Hotel is a landmark hotel that boasts great art, a French restaurant and cult favourite Bemelmans, where stars like Woody Allen play live music regularly.
- The Mark, Upper East Side. For an updated take on classic luxury, the newly renovated The Mark boasts interiors by Jacques Grange, an in-house Frederic Fekkai salon, and a Jean Georges restaurant.
- Gramercy Par Hotel. In Gramercy Park, which is a quiet, upscale neighborhood on lower Park Avenue, Ian Schrager has perfected haute bohemia at the newly renovated Gramercy Park Hotel. With help from friend and painter Julian Schnabel, the interiors are dark, sexy, and masculine, balancing colourful artwork with high ceilings. The private roof club and garden is worth the stay alone. Covered in flowers and vines, it evokes the charm of a Viennese cafe or private greenhouse.
- Ace Hotel. Across town in the newly minted NoMad area (North of Madison Square Park), the Ace Hotel is an affordable and hip spot with a jumping singles bar scene at its in-house restaurant, The Breslin.
- The Standard. http://www.standardhotels.com/new-york-city/ Meatpacking District and hotelier Andre Balazs’s newly opened The Standard. The sleek, modern rooms are affordable and offer spectacular views of the city from floor to ceiling windows.
- Soho House. http://www.sohohouseny.com/ Guests of the hotel have access to the perks of its members-only club, including its rooftop pool, as well as the swank, yet laid back club space where celebs like Blake Lively and Ronaldo are guaranteed a paparazzi-free zone with the help of the club’s strict protection policies.